Though many of our "pieces" are based on traditional folklore, our productions contain innovative elements as well. We are continually developing new strategies to expose traditional culture in a manner that maintains cultural integrity, yet creates new and exiting avenues of presentation and audience participation, and creates a modern mythology for Long Branch, by relating the story, derived from ancient legends, and setting it in actual places in Long Branch.
For our local artist participants, we endeavor to do several things: create workshops for their artistic development, provide showcases for their artistic expressions, and inspire them by creating opportunities for collaboration with national and international artists in their respective fields. Our participating artists represent a diverse range of cultural and geographic locations, ranging from local children's organizations to international celebrities. The following represents our history of theater productions held at the Oceans of Rhythms Festival:
- 1999, The Legend of Troutman's Creek, an original full-length musical play with various musical genres. The cast is mostly adults, with children in key and supporting roles.
The following are children's productions:
** Each year, our Oceans of Rhythm Festival expands on our theme, Roots and Fruits of Rhythm, a series bringing together diverse groups, with over 25 artists each year; music, dance and carnival procession
- 2000, Swanita and Camel 2000, an original play; Swanita travels to the future and meets 20th century African-American heroes whose initials spell CAMEL (Coltrane, Armstrong, Malcolm X, Ella Fitzgerald and Langston Hughes)
- Swanita and Her Shellular Connection, P.R. and PR with positive rap and poetry
- Swanita and S.T.O.R.I.E.S 101. (Shellular Telepathy, Oceans of Rhythm In Every Story): the beginning of a series revolving around folktales.
- Swanita and S.T.O.R.I.E.S. 102 focuses on world peace; PeaceBird helps bring peace to a troubled society.
- Swanita and the Third Eye or S.T.O.R.I.E.S. 203: A mystical mystery, with a lesson "not to steal."
- 2004, Swanita and S.T.A.R.T. (Swanita's Traveling Altruistic Rescue Team). Swanita Opens a Door in 2004: Swanita and her pals travel around the world (Puerto Rico, Mexico, Haiti, U.S., Jamaica and Cuba) and rescue teens in trouble through music and the arts.
- 2005, Swanita and S.T.R.I.V.E. - Strive to Keep the Rhythm Alive in 2005
- 2006, Oceans of Rhythm Festival 06: (Nothing the Rhythm Cannot Fix in 2006) - celebration of the African Masquerade Tradition
- Oceans of Rhythm 2007 and Oceans of Rhythm 2008 - Roots and Fruits of Rhythm, a series bringing together diverse groups, with over 25 artists each year; music, dance, carnival procession, etc.
- Oceans of Rhythm 2007- (Bring to Earth a Little Bit of Heaven)
- Oceans of Rhythm 2008 - (Educate to Elevate)
- Oceans of Rhythm 2009 - (Feeling fine with the music sublime)